At Little Moas, Mt Wellington Daycare, we are committed to protecting the future of our children by encouraging a sustainable future for all. Our childcare centre in Mount Wellington actively participates in caring for our environment and promotes sustainable daily practices with our children, our families and the wider community.
Our Journey towards a fully sustainable childcare facility includes:
- Re-use and recycle program. Using recyclable materials where possible and encouraging children to re-use/recycle paper and other materials at home and at the centre.
- ‘Garden to table’ activities i.e. seed sprouting, vegetable gardens, cooking and more.
- Promoting awareness of the environment through ‘green housekeeping practices’ such as healthy eating, gardening, minimising waste, recycling and reducing water and energy consumption.
- Developing children’s understanding and respect for the environment, and encouraging critical thinking and discussions around sustainable practices.
- Utilising environmentally friendly products (where possible) such as non-toxic art supplies and natural educational resources.
- Minimising waste through the use of composting and worm-farms.
- Minimising the use of hard and soft plastic by actively looking for ways to avoid unnecessary plastic resources or products with plastic packaging.
What is sustainability…
Sustainability is ‘environmental education’. Learning about our environment and how the natural systems around us function. It’s about promoting daily actions and decision making that meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.